T 01606 278707


Everything you need to know about Export Health Certificates

Posted by forever | Posted 2nd September 2016 | Blog

An Export Health Certificate or EHC is a document that confirms that certain information, health standards and regulations have been met – so animal products can be exported. They need to be completed and signed by an OV (Official Veterinarian) appointed by APHA (Animal Plant and Health Agency).

What animal products do they cover?
There are over 1,500 certificates available, and they all have slightly different requirements. They are split into a range of commodities:
• Meat
• Dairy (milk, whey, yoghurt, cheese, butter & ice cream)
• Hides, skins, wool, feathers & lanolin
• Collagen, gelatine & casings
• Egg
• Fish and fishery products
• Laboratory
• Pet food and animal feeds
• Miscellaneous

Official Veterinarians must have the correct ‘panel’ assigned to them so they can complete and sign the EHC. For most of the products mentioned above it is panel ‘PX’. To export to certain countries such as China, the OV must also be on the specific list held by that country.

What information do certificates ask for?
Certificates are generally split into several basic sections:
1. Identity – confirms basic details such as the name of the exporter and quantity and weight of goods being shipped.
2. Shipping information – such as the container, seal number and boat or flight details.
3. Health marks – for example the EU ‘oval mark’ confirms that the product meets EU food standards.
4. Country of origin – some certificates require proof that the product originated and was processed in certain countries.
5. Storage conditions – such as whether the product needs to be frozen to a certain temperature or kept separate from other goods.
6. Health statements – these vary from country to country, but can involve confirming details such as heat treatment and freedom from contamination and certain diseases. They may also require inspection of production records or written confirmation from the manufacturer or OV at the abattoir or processing plant.

How does the application process work?
1. Request the relevant EHC and EXA application document from APHA and fill it out as far as you can.
2. Email the completed EHC and EXA07 or EXA10 forms to APHA
3. Applications are logged and processed. Assuming everything is correct, the certificates are sent out to the OV, usually within 48 hours
4. The OV checks your form, inspects the products, obtains any supporting documentation and signs and stamps the EHC. The original is then returned to the exporter with copies kept on file and sent to APHA.

Check out an example of an Export Health Certificate here, guidance notes here and an EXA07 here.

What EHC do you need?
You can quickly find out by using our handy export certification tool.

How can you get expert advice?
Call our team for an initial chat about your export needs on 07765 642 273 or 0161 929 1887.

Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn for all the latest updates.

« Previous ArticleNext Article »

OV Focus - Jemma Webley BVMS MRCVS

Jemma joined Amivet in 2015 after qualifying in veterinary product exportation and is now part of the team providing essential services. Outside of work Jemma is a keen gardener who also takes part in open water swimming events.

Karina Pearson MSC Food Technology; OCQ (AHP) – CSO

Karina has a strong knowledge of quality and food safety systems, and international food legislation.Karina joined Amivet in March 2019 as a CSO to support export certification services in the Home Counties and London area.

OV Focus - Jenny Grewal - BVSc CertAVP(CP), MRCVS

Graduated in 2008, then internship at Langford Vets, followed by a position in Chippenham, which included export work. In 2016, I started to do a mix of small, farm and exotic work as a locum, along with export certification.

Load More...