T 01606 278707


Export Health Certificates to the USA for UK exporters 


Our friendly team of export vets have vast experience of signing export health certificates (EHCs) for a wide variety of goods to be exported to the USA. We can provide a competitively priced, high quality service tailored to your individual needs. We can advise and help you obtain the correct documentation and we can then check your products and then sign the pre-certificate, for final completion by an APHA veterinary officer. 

The USA is the UK’s biggest customer in terms of food and animal product exports – the market for this sector was worth approximately £317 million in 2016. Given the continuing uncertainty over ‘Brexit’, it is more important than ever to maintain and increase sales to the USA.


Many food items and products of animal origin will require an ‘Export Health Certificate’ or EHC, signed by an official veterinary surgeon (OV). There are currently around 37 different EHCs available, which cover the following commodities:-


It should be noted that meat exports are currently limited to pork and pig meat from approved premises only. Poultry/beef/lamb exports to the USA are currently banned. Strict hygiene and origin requirements must be met as well as freedom from certain diseases.

Dairy products can originate in any country with UK equivalent standards and the species of origin must be stated. The countries must be free from foot and mouth disease and rinderpest (cattle plague – now considered eliminated). Some products eg hard cheese, are exempt.

You should also consider other import regulations, such as if you need FDA approval and if you need to submit prior notice of shipment.

For a full list of products, please contact us for further information or you can check available certificates using our unique interactive export map or export tool here.


The import conditions are set by APHIS (animal and plant health inspection service), a division of the USDA (United States Department of Agriculture). They are set out in chapter 9 of the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR). An import permit may be required for certain products. The importer or their agent, who must normally be a US citizen/company, would usually apply for this. The permit lists the conditions that must be met on the EHC. The permit is normally valid for multiple shipments within 12 months. Remember it is in American date format ie MM/DD/YYYY.


The EHC application process is different from most other countries, in that the final EHC is actually signed by a full time employed Veterinary Officer at the Centre for International Trade in Carlisle, rather than by the official vet who has inspected the goods. The process is explained step by step below.

  • Exporter completes EXA10 pre-certificate form and part completed EHC pdf file and emails to OV
  • OV inspects the goods as usual and obtains any necessary support documents
  • OV signs and stamps the draft EHC and emails back to exporter
  • Exporter applies to APHA with EXA10, draft EHC and signed EHC (and import permit and manufacturer declaration if required)
  • APHA sign final EHC and post to exporter


Any manufacturer declarations (mandecs) must be worded correctly and include the phrase “ I am aware that is is an offence to give a false declaration”. The person signing must have reasonable knowledge that what they are signing is correct and must be on the approved list of signatories held by APHA, who can and do follow up on mandecs to check their validity.


Steps are being taken to resume the export of beef and lamb to the USA and it is hoped this may resume in the near future. A lot will also depends on any free trade agreements post Brexit – the USA president has made some positive noises, although it remains to be seen if this results in any action.


There are relatively few vets who are active in the export certification field and it is important to choose someone who has experience with the system for  the USA. At Amivet Exports we are more than happy to work with clients to offer a ‘tailor made’ service. Some companies already export and just need us to inspect the goods and sign the paperwork when needed; others are new to exporting and require a lot more guidance and help through the process.

We travel extensively throughout the UK and aim to be as flexible as possible. You will also get a named contact, so you will get a familiar contact that can get to know and understand your business. For further information and a free, informal discussion about your export requirements, including what products you may need an EHC for, please contact us.